One of the most amazing things about laughter is how profoundly and immediately it alters our mood. Laughter is not only the best medicine, it’s incredibly fast-acting medicine.
That’s why I recommend that people create a Fun List of activities, media, and people that are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. When you’re feeling down for whatever reason, drag out the Fun List and choose one of the options on it. Laughter doesn’t solve our problems, but it does make it easier for us to handle those problems.
After speaking at LaughFest (an absolutely awesome event you’ll want to add to your calendar every year!) my new friend Dawn asked me to share what’s on my own personal Fun List. Here you go – these are the 15 fun things that never fail to put a smile on my face:
1.Big Bang Theory (sitcom)
2. David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall (CD/MP3)
3. Reading Sunday comics
4. Watching funny movies (Top picks: “In & Out” with Kevin Kline, “When Harry Met Sally” and “Steel Magnolias”)
5. Youtube: Laughing Babies (any and all)
6. Youtube: Bloopers from my favorite shows (including Doctor Who and Castle)
7. Going to card rack and looking for funny cards to send someone for no reason in particular
8. A Journal of my mirthful memories, love to write them up or review as needed
9. A phone call to my funny sister, or my funny son
10. Laughter Yoga or laughing for no reason
11. People watching in airports or Board Walk in Pacific Beach (1 mile from my house)
12. Visiting a store with fun gadgets or toys like BrookStone, KB Toys, boutiques, gift stores
13. Looking for funny memes on Pinterest
14. Searching for #humor on Twitter
15. Going on a scavenger hunt for things that make me laugh
What’s on your Fun List? If you’d like to share, email them to me at Karyn@KarynBuxman.com. Your list could have 15 items – or it might only have 3! The point is that they should be things that make you smile, laugh, and experience joy. Life is better when we have more fun. We’re happier, healthier and we get more done. The Fun List is a simple tool to make that happen!