It might be hard to find an answer to that question. The healthcare community is facing a plethora of perplexing problems. There’s a continual pressure to do more with less. All we have to do is see more patients, cure more conditions, and increase customer satisfaction with fewer staff, in less time, with fewer resources every day.
It doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to laugh about.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Healthcare needs humor. Humor has incredible benefits for our patients, our health care providers, and for the health care organizations and systems.
The strategic use of humor can transform the health care experience for everyone. Here’s how humor can help:
- Improve the patient experience, opening the doors to effective communication and alleviating anxiety
- Create a positive work place environment. Combat the problem of nursing hostility and staff tension
- Provide staff with an effective, low cost way to reduce stress and avoid burnout
- Serve as a valuable organizational differentiator: why should patients choose you for their care?
- Enhance customer service experience, resulting in higher Press-Gainey scores
And there’s more!